The World’s vice-champion (2017), the bronze medalist in Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games (2017), silver medalist in the XVIII Summer Asian Games (2018), eight-time champion in Turkmen National Championships (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017) – Kristina Shermetova answers to journalist’s questions in our «7 Questions to the Champion» rubric.
– Kristina, you earned silver medal on weightlifting among women in 53 kilograms weight category in the XVIII Summer Asian Games held in Indonesia. How would you evaluate your performance?
– I had an opportunity to perform better. At the end of two competitions, in total I could lift 206 kilograms; while my opponent could lift 207 kilograms. There was only 1 kg left for the gold medal. I would like to assure you all that I would do my best to improve my performance and I am training very hard to reach that goal.
– What was your dream job? Have your dreams ever become a goal?
– When I was a child, I wanted to become a veterinarian. Another dream was to become a student in one of our universities. Now, I study at the National Institute of Sports and Tourism of Turkmenistan. Participation in the XVIII Summer Asian Games was one of my unachievable dreams. I had an opportunity to stand on the honoring podium. Currently I am preparing on a high level for the Weightlifting World Championships that will be held in our beautiful capital. My goal is to show my best and win gold medal in these Championships, as well as to raise my country’s reputation. The next dream that must be turned into the goal is Olympic Games.
– In books you have read and in films you have watched, what characters can you associate yourself with?
– In books and films I put myself in a place of rescuer, kind, friendly and generous characters.
– How do you think what is a secret of success?
– To gain a success you need patience, steadiness, persistence and believe in your success from the bottom of your heart. There is nothing unreachable if you follow your dream and try hard.
– If you had an opportunity to start a new kind of sport, what would you choose? What sport do you cheer on?
– If I had an opportunity, I would choose martial arts. Most of my friends do this sport; therefore, I have a very big interest in this sport. Especially I like demonstration performances of martial arts. I cheer on muay thai and billiard.
– Could you tell us about your daily life as a female athlete?
– We always train. Close to high-level competitions, we reduce our trainings and save our energy. We have very regulated and severe trainings. Usually I go to the gym once a day, and when I find some free time, I love spending time with my relatives and my family.
– What do you do in your free time?
– I love cycling. In my free time I like cycling, walking with my friends, also swimming is my favorite hobby. These activities make me happier.
Interviewer: Mive Nabatova, a journalist.