A lot of experienced athletes arrived at our country during the Weightlifting World Championships. One of them is member of Armenian national team, owner of silver medal in Olympic Games 2016 and winner of European Championship 2017 Simon Mаrtirosyan. He answered our questions.
– How were you preparing for the Championships?
– At every competition requires a lot of preparations. Competition selects the strongest ones. I worked hard to be a winner.
– What can you say about the mascot of weightlifting Wepaly?
– National features of Turkmen people are reflected in Wepaly. It was very accurate to use him for the Championships. Wepaly gives national shine to the Championships. I hope to gain statue of Wepaly winning one of the award places.
– Have you visited sightseeing places of Ashgabat?
– I was busy with trainings so I did not have time to walk around. However, I walked around the Village and liked structure of the Village and night view of Ashgabat.
– I believe you have been offered food from Turkmen cuisine several times.
– Turkmenistan and Armenia have a lot in common. However, national features are not similar to each other. Though, I saw similarity in our cuisines.
– New records are set one after another during the Championships. What can you say in this respect?
– Current competitions are held in the light level weight category. I perform in the weight category of up to 109 kg. Power and experience are required for breaking the new world records in this weight category. Regardless this, each athlete including myself aims to break the world record at the World Championships.
– We wish you success! Thank you very much for the interesting interview!
Interviewed by Guncha GURBANMAMMEDOVA,
Student of the Sports Reporter Department of the National Institute of Sports and Tourism of Turkmenistan.